Position Title: OSM/AmeriCorps VISTA
Location: Project focused in Morgan County and Noble County, Ohio
Job Type: 12 month contract (with potential extension up to 24 months)
The Friends of Lower Muskingum River's (FLMR) mission is restore, protect and maintain the physical, chemical and biological integrity of the Muskingum River and to protect and promote its natural, cultural, historic and socioeconomic resources.
The Appalachian Coal Country Team (ACCT) assists rural communities in Appalachia by building capacity for local organizations and governments that are working towards healthy futures, economic development, and environmental stewardship in our seven state service area. The ACCT is maintained by a unique partnership between the Office of Surface Mining (OSM) and AmeriCorps VISTA that enables the team to place determined, college-trained, men and women in rural Appalachian communities for a year of national service. Since 2002, the ACCT has consistently placed OSM/VISTA’s in the most rural and impoverished communities in Appalachia, serving rural people in need by working directly with community members and organizations. With its support office in Beckley, WV, the ACCT works throughout seven Appalachian states (Kentucky, Maryland, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia) and is sponsored by the Citizens Conservation Corps of West Virginia. For more information about the ACCT, visit www.coalcountryteam.org
FLMR is proud to announce its partnership with the ACCT. Through this partnership the ACCT is providing a yearlong VISTA position to aid FLMR in pursing our mission.
This position is not a staff position and does not include a salary; rather it provides a living allowance less than $1,000 a month. It includes health insurance, child care assistance, and an education award valued at $5,550 or a cash stipend of $1,500 at the end of service. Candidates relocating more than 50 miles for service are eligible for $550 relocation/settling in allowance.
The goal for this position is to build the capacity of FLMR, promote economic opportunities for the community, foster environmental stewardship, and conduct outreach and education around the Lower Muskingum River basin. Specifically, the candidate will work to ....
1) Improve water quality in the mainstem of Mans Fork to meet the Warmwater Habitat aquatic life use designation assigned by the State of Ohio.
2) Develop the capacity of FLMR's Land Trust throughout Morgan and Noble Counties to increase the economic opportunities created through enhanced recreation experiences offered on Land Trust proprieties.
3) Increase the awareness of FLMR's role in watershed management throughout Morgan and Noble Counties so that future partnerships and water restoration projects can be pursued in that region long after the OSM/VISTA project is complete.
The tasks associated with this project include, but are not limited to:
· Project administration
· Grant writing and fundraising
· Public speaking
· Strengthening existing partnerships, fostering new partnerships
· Outreach & education
· Event Management
· Volunteer coordination
· Water Quality Monitoring
· Bachelor’s Degree preferred (or equivalent experience)
· Strong writing skills, public speaking, and computer literacy (particularly with Microsoft Office softwares)
· Must be highly motivated and possess the ability to work with minimal supervision
· Can not be employed by any other organizations during the year long OSM/VISTA term of service
· Applicant must have a vehicle for work related travel (*mileage reimbursement will be available)
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a cover letter, resume and references to:
or email applications to:
Applications need to be received no later than 4 pm on March 28th to be considered